Zonta is women's politics
Service and advocacy have long been the pillars of Zonta’s work to make the world a better place for women and girls.
What is Advocacy?
Advocacy entails raising awareness of women’s issues to other Zontians, to the general public and to public institutions, at the international, national, regional or local levels. It also entails promoting change in social and governmental attitude towards those issues.
In the biennium 2020 - 2022 alone, Zonta International issued over fifteen advocacy statements on matters such as the feminine right to education, violence against women, human trafficking, forced and child marriage, feminine genital mutilation, climate change and women in war conflict situations.
District 29 as a strong part of worldwide Zonta International campaigns
In furtherance of Zonta International’s goal, Zonta District 29 has been performing strong advocacy actions over the last ten years, notably in the field of the eradication of violence against women:
1. ZONTA says NO Campaign
During the 16 Days of Activism, 25 November - 10 December every year, all Zonta clubs and districts are encouraged to take part in the Zonta Says NO to Violence Against Women campaign and to take local, national and international actions to influence the making and implementation of laws, as well as changing gender-based attitudes and behaviors to end violence against women.
Tools & Tips for Zonta Clubs
- The Zonta Says NO to Violence Against Women Toolkit has been updated for the 2022 campaign. It is posted to the Advocacy Tools page under My Zonta (Login required). | Direct link to the PDF (Login required)
Zonta International looks forward to your Zonta Says NO actions and urge you to become familiar with the Share Your Story Platform along with joining Zonta’s social media communities (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, and YouTube).
2. Orange the World Campaign
This event takes place on 25 November every year, lighting in orange local landmark architecture to show support for UN Women’s campaign to eradicate violence against women. Zonta clubs advocate with local town councils to carry out this action.
District 29 video to raise awareness of gender violence
In the biennium 2020-2022, the Advocacy Committee of District 29 prepared the following video. Please feel free to use it for your advocacy actions:
3. ZI Council of Europe Committee
- Zonta International and the Council of Europe
- Zonta International and the Istanbul Convention
- Zonta International and the Anti-Trafficking Convention
4. UN Commission on the Status of Women | CWS67 | 6 to 17 March 2023
Aims of the D29 Advocacy Committee
We encourage all clubs in District 29 to carry out advocacy actions in support of Zonta International’s mission and values.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch with your local club or the District’s advocacy committee if:
- You would like guidance or support to prepare or conduct an advocacy action
- You would like specific tools for an advocacy action
- You would like to report an advocacy action carried out in your club
The D29 Legislative & Advocacy Committee
Chair: Ingeborg Koutses | ZC Dortmund | Area 05
- Josette Bourcier | ZC SABLES D'OLONNE | Area 01
- Ines M. Chamarro Storms | MADRID KM 0 | Area 01
- Elena Sbenghea | ZC ROND DE REEST | Area 04