The UN Secretary-General convened the Education Transformation Summit at the 77th UN General Assembly in September 2022
The Summit seeks to mobilize political ambition, action, solutions and solidarity to transform education. This includes taking stock of efforts to offset learning losses from the pandemic, but also reinventing education systems for the world of today and tomorrow; and revitalizing national and global efforts to achieve SDG 4.
SEPTEMBER 20, 2022 | United Nations Secretary-General stated in his Summit Vision that it would be an inclusive and equitable approach, including on girls and women.
Seven new global initiatives launched at the Summit will focus on such solutions to transform education:
- Greening education to prepare each learner for the climate;
- Connect every child and youth to digital solutions;
- Addressing Education in Crisis Situations
- The Crisis of Basic Learning in Young Learners-Transforming Education Systems to Enable Inclusive, Quality and Safe Learning Opportunities for All Children and Youth Affected by the Crisis and Continuity of Education;
- Advance gender equality and the empowerment of girls and women;
- Transform education funding by investing more, more equitably, more effectively, and more innovatively;
- Empower youth to be effective leaders in educational reform. The Youth Declaration was presented to the Secretary-General on 16 September 2022 as a youth contribution to the President’s summary of the Summit to Transform Education.
Collective Consultation of NGOs on Education for All (CCNGO/EFA)
The Global Cooperation for Education and the group CCONG-Education2030
A new Global Cooperation Mechanism for education has been established, aiming to bring countries and international partners together around shared priorities in a more agile, efficient and aligned ways to accelerate progress towards Sustainable Development Goal 4 (SDG4).
The CCONG is UNESCO’s key mechanism for dialogue, reflection and partnerships with NGOs in the framework of the Education for All movement. It is taken into account in UNESCO’s regular program
Zonta International is a member of the NGO-UNESCO Liaison Committee which is pleased to collaborate with the CCNGO-Education 2030
The Global Cooperation for Education in particular the High Level Steering Committee with the CCONG has been tasked with monitoring the Summit on Education Transformation (TES) that is, ensuring that the political capital gained and the global movement for TES actually results in concrete actions.
This monitoring mechanism will meet on 8 and 9 December and will be coordinated by UNESCO, the UNESCO Institute for Statistics and the Global Monitoring Report on Education pursuing its mandate to monitor and communicate the SDG 4.
France represents Western European and North American States on the SDG 4 High-Level Steering Committee 2022-2023
Watch H.E. Mr Pap Ndiaye, Minister of National Education, Youth and Sports of the French Republic, SDG4 High-Level Steering Committee Leader member in an interview with SDG4Youth member Armel Azihar at the Transforming Education Summit September 2022. | Video in french