Profile and Committee
Status: September 2022
The Zonta International Amelia Earhart Fellowship was established in 1938 in honour of Amelia Earhart, famed pilot and Zonta club member.
The Amelia Earhart Fellowships are awarded annually to 30 women pursuing a Ph.D./doctoral degree in aerospace engineering and space sciences. The Fellowship of USD10,000 may be used at any university or college offering accredited post-graduate courses and degrees.
Who is Eligible?
- Women of any nationality pursuing a Ph.D./doctoral degree who demonstrate a superior academic record conducting research applied to aerospace engineering or space sciences are eligible.
- Students must be registered in a full-time Ph.D./doctoral program and completed at least one year of that program or have received a master’s degree in an aerospace-applied field at the time the application is submitted.
- Applicants must not graduate before April the following year after having filed the application.
- Post-doctoral research programs are not eligible for the Fellowship.
- Members and employees of Zonta International or the Zonta International Foundation are also not eligible to apply for the Fellowship.
- Note that previous Amelia Earhart fellows are not eligible to apply to renew the Fellowship for a second year.
The Zonta International Amelia Earhart Fellowship Committee reviews the applications and recommends recipients to the Zonta International Board.
- All applicants are evaluated on the criteria stated in the requirements section of the application.
- All details of the evaluations are kept confidential; evaluations are not disclosed to applicants.
- All applicants will be notified of their status by the end of April the year after the application has been filed.
How Do I Apply?
Applications are made online on the Zonta International website. Applicants may apply for the Amelia Earhart Fellowships here...
Deadline for applications is 15th November each year.
2022 District 29 winners
- Dorota Budzyn from Poland studying at the University of Glasgow (UK) | Bio JPG
- Marie Fayolle from France studying at Delft University of Technology (NL) | Bio JPG
- Jeimmy Nataly Buitrago Leiva from Colombia studying at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (ES) | Bio JPG
- Yana Lishkova from Bulgaria studying at University of Oxford (UK) | Bio JPG
- Benita Nortmann from Germany and Switzerland studying at Imperial College London (UK) | Bio JPG
- Lidia Carós Roca from Spain studying at Imperial College London (UK) | Bio JPG
- Emma Stevenson from the United Kingdom studying at Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (ES) | Bio JPG
Meet some of the 2021 District 29 winners
Sofia Medina Cassillas from the United States and Spain studying at University of Cambridge | Video in Spanish
Merel Vergaaij from the Netherlands studying at University of Glasgow (UK) | Video in English
2021 Fellows studying in the UK receiving their wing-pins and diploma at celebration in London
Top from left: Past D29-Governor Monika Geise, Suria Surbiah, 2020 fellow, Sireetorn Kuharat, 2019 fellow, Britt Gustawsson, past chair of the D29 Amelia Earhart Committee | bottom from left: 2022 fellows Abigail Berhane from the UK, Manuela Sisti from Italy and Provence Barnouin from France
ZAC | Zonta Alumnae Connected
Nominees for all Zonta Awards and Scholarships are invited to join ZAC (Zonta Awardees Connected) - an inspiring worldwide network what meets on a regular basis. Our network is growing! So - receiving the Amelia Earhart Fellowship means to hold a ticket to all the Zonta alumnae in your hands and also one to the worldwide network of Zonta.
District 29 committee members 2020 - 2022
If you have any questions, please contact Alina Agüero: Amelia-Earhart@zonta-district29.org
- Sigrun Christiansen, ZC Paris, France | Area 01
- Inés Usandizaga, AE fellow, Germany
- Britt Gustawsson, past chair, ZC London, UK | Area 03
- Rosemarijn de Groot, ZC The Hague, NL | Area 04